Saturday, August 15, 2009

How my insurance works

I am retires and 67 years old. I have medicare part B. This costs me 100 per month deducted from my social security, We have been paying into this with payroll deductions for 40 years or so. I don't have and real idea what that total has been. I also have a suppliment from Country Companies that costs about $150 per month. Medicare pays 80% and the suppliment pays the 20%. So I pay $250 per month for health care.

I have a drug policy that was just raised to $71 per month. My copays range from $7 to $30. I pay out of pocket about $125 per month for drugs. When the donut comes up I pay over $400 per month. I am on heart medications and insulin.

So my total health care bill is about $6000 a year. On retirement income this is pretty high. My gal is at about $4000 a year. $10,000 a year is about 25% of our retirement income. Obviously we are living on savings, and hoefully that will last.

Maybe there would be some way for us to get more for our $10,000 or actually pay less. But for us, with our medical history we have nothing to complain about.

Obviously if this doubles over the next 10 years we will have some issues. However there is no evidence this gov can provide that improvement, and we dont want the burden to be passed on to our children and grandchildren.

No comments:

Post a Comment